Table of Contents
What Exactly is WIIFM?
WIIFM stands for “What’s In It For Me?” This simple but powerful question should underpin all communication efforts. By focusing on how your message relates to your audience’s self-interest, you can craft more engaging communication that drives action.
WIIFM refers to the self-interest, needs, motivations and potential benefits for your audience. It is about communicating from their perspective, not yours. Before creating any message, think about what your audience cares about and how your information is relevant to them.
Why Does WIIFM Matter?
WIIFM enhances communication success in three key ways:
- Boosts Audience Engagement – People pay more attention when they feel connected to the message. WIIFM makes information more engaging and memorable.
- Builds Trust – Demonstrating understanding of your audience’s priorities shows you have their best interest in mind. This helps build credibility and trust.
- Drives Action – Focusing on benefits and relevance inspires audiences to act. WIIFM gives people compelling reasons to respond.
How To Harness The Power of WIIFM
Follow these tips to bake WIIFM into your communication:
- Research Your Audience – Get to know their core interests, needs and motivations. Feedback surveys can provide insights.
- Identify Relevance – Determine how your key messages and offerings relate to your audience’s priorities. Highlight connections.
- Emphasize Benefits – Explain how your message positively impacts your audience. Focus on their tangible gains.
- Craft Captivating Content – Use storytelling, case studies and powerful visuals to underscore relevance and benefits.
- Evaluate Effectiveness – Seek feedback on whether your communication hit the mark on WIIFM. Refine as needed.
WIIFM is one of the most important communication principles. By tailoring your message to resonate with what your audience cares about, you can craft compelling, high-impact communication that drives results.